Monday, July 26, 2010

My Incredibly Bright Idea

The other morning as I was sitting on my deck, reading the paper, drinking my coffee and enjoying what's left of my mountain view (thanks to neighbors who added a 2nd story to their house and the trees that continue to grow thus blocking all but the top of the mountain, but I'm not bitter about it)when I had this incredibly bright idea. I mentioned to Jon that we should take the mountain bikes up to Three Creeks Lake.

So, I packed a picnic, we loaded up the bikes (and dog) and headed north for the 40 minute drive up to the Three Sisters wilderness. Let me just say that there is no lack of awesomeness up in those mountains. See what I mean?





Summers here are great, once they get going. Heat without humidity – which I totally dig, but I’m not sure why we waited until the heat of the day to go riding. Not like it was a tough ride or anything. The only bummer was the fact I couldn’t find my biking gloves(you know, the ones without half the fingers) which makes for sweaty, dirt-covered hands, because I’m usually riding in Jon’s dust. Add that to the issue of having the gear shifter on the handle bar grip so every time I stood on the pedals my hands slipped and so did the gears. After a few looks from Jon for having ‘words’ with my bike, I got over it, sucked it up and enjoyed the view from the trail.







The mosquitoes are in full frenzy mode right now so I brought the 99% Deet spray with me. This drives the environmentalists crazy, but I’m an eight-course meal for those pests (the mosquitoes, not the environmentalist, although the environmentalists are pests too) and I’ll take my chances with depleting the ozone AND getting cancer. So, halfway up the trail when I stopped by the lovely brook to take some pictures, reality dawned on me when the first danged mosquito landed on my arm. I left the Deet in the car. Go ahead, say it. Geeeenius. At last tally I was only sporting about 12 bites and counting. Not bad.



This is the upper lake that we made it to and as you can see, it awesomely spectacular AND there was no one up there. I love having the lake to myself because I'm really selfish that way. And, I even forged the raging waters. Total risk taker.









When we got back down the trail we pulled out the picnic and as soon as we sat down to eat, Bozley proceeded to go into some kind of convulsive maneuver, rolling and flopping around like a mad monkey in the dirt.











Apparently he thought this would suffice in taking care of the dirt issue. Duh-m dog.



Not so. He got the dreaded bath when we got home.

The End.

8 comments:

katdish said...

Holy Cow, Annie! Those pics are incredible! Boz was probably rolling around on a dead snake or something. Buddy does that all the time. Glad you got away. I so need to get up there and visit.

Candy said...

Beautiful pictures, Annie! And I think Boz was rolling out his mosquitos, though I've seen his mad monkey skillz at other times too :)

Marni said...

I'm with Kathy. Boz-dog likely found something dead to roll on. My dogs like to roll around on dead fish when we're at the lake. And then they act all confused when they have to bathe. Weirdos...

I think your bike trail and lake is my new happy place. Those pics are gorgeous. I wish I even felt like being outside in the summer. I sweat and cuss from the car to the grocery store, but I digress.

Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Wendy said...

Great pictures! So pretty there!

My dog's been doing that rolling around thing outside, too, lately. Crazy dogs.

Helen said...

Beautiful pictures. I don't have a dog. Nobody in my family rolls around in dead things. I'm feeling a bit left out...

jasonS said...

Love the pictures. Gorgeous place...

Billy Coffey said...

Those are some beautiful pictures, Annie.

susie @newdaynewlesson said...

Wow-what amazing pictures. Looks like a fabulous day.