Sunday, June 27, 2010

So That's Your Excuse

I guess it's been several weeks (okay, months) since I've done any kind of regular posting on this blog. I've got a ton of excuses as to why that is, but let's just chalk it up to laziness. At this point I should promise to do better but I'm not going to. Mainly because I don't like to break promises. So instead, let's just have a 'whoa, she posted!' moment and and while you sit in feigned shock, I'll give you an update of what's been going on in my world.

Summer is here. Finally. I know I've been whining about winter since it began last October and for the past three months when we should have had spring it's done nothing but rain and frost. Rain and frost. If I never see another drop of rain I'm okay with that. I don't know how people in Seattle do it and I'm frankly shocked our newspapers(well, internet) aren't filled with stories of crazy, angry people who are driven to be mass murderers because of the constant gloom called rain that hangs over that city. I think that was happening in Bend. We were all becoming an angry, intolerant bunch, but now that summer is here, and there are no clouds in the sky and we've hit temps of 84 degrees, we're all happy, laughing, smelling flowers and in generally good humor once again. Mainly because the area looks like this:



You may know, or not, that several months ago my daughter moved out of town to live with her dad (long story). Anyway, she graduated in June. A few months prior we had actually started talking again via email, phone and Facebook. And it was good. I went to her graduation and it was the first time in seven months I'd seen her. Now I can't really describe the feeling of when she saw me, yelled, 'Mom!' and ran up to give me the biggest hug ever because there just aren't words for it. It was totally awesome and lets just say it was a very happy moment (as you can see from the picture).



She is now living back in Bend, we talk daily and see each other a lot. So it's all good.

The kids are done with school (two days early as a matter of fact because our state is in the worst financial way ever and told us we'd have last minute budget cuts so let's hit education, of course) and Killian's best buds were in town from Arizona for a long weekend. I don't know about you, but the first thing I think of when I see a crappy old mattress in the junk pile out back is figuring out how to ride that thing down the street. Okay, not really, but the boys did (they were even chivalrous enough to let me ride on it) and they had a ton of fun riding this thing down the hill. Without helmets, of course, because we live life on the edge in our house.





Killian's cousins in Virginia are already trying to figure out where to score a mattress and some wheels so they can get in on the fun when Killian arrives. I'm sure it's going to be a big hit with all those young Rednecks. It'll rate right up there with shotgun fishing.

Since I know you will ask, yes, Boz is now much happier with summer being here. He had his first swim of the season yesterday and then got to go to the lake today. It's a rough gig being Boz. Well, not really.

9 comments:

Candy said...

You're baaaack! Yay! Love your pics. That one of you and Kenz just makes me smile. Well, and Boz, of course.

Can't believe you didn't get a pic of you on that mattress. With your camo hat and shotgun.

Amrita said...

Good to hear from you Annie . A lot of good things have happened lately.

So happy for your daughter and you.

Lovely pictures

Helen said...

I, too, am really happy for you and Kenzi!

katdish said...

SO jealous of the mattress contraption! Absolutely NO hills where I live. That looks awesome.

~*Michelle*~ said...

Something (or some One) told me to pop in your world.....and I know why.

That beautiful smile on your face in that photo.....

Annie K said...

Candy, I can't believe there's not a pic of me on the mattress either. Probably won't be...!

Amrita, nice to see you and thanks!

Helen, Thanks - I'm sure it's all the prayers.

Katdish, you should be jealous. It was pretty awesome.

Michelle, Awwww, thanks!

sherri said...

Beautiful photo of you and Kenz- YAY! I knew it! YAY! Stay busy and enjoy your world!

Matt @ The Church of No People said...

That's awesome, both the reunion and riding the mattress down the street! Hope you are having a super great summer.

Wendy said...

You and Kenzi sure look a lot alike! Glad things are on the upswing with you two!