Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Hiatus

I've been on a blog hiatus for some time and instead of boring you with the details of the whys and whatnots let me simply say it's been a season. I can't tell you how glad I was to see 2010 take a hike and 2011 come rolling in. I mean how awesome in itself is a year where you have 1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, 11/11/11 and the fact that I have a child who celebrated his coming of age on one of those days and got his driving permit. So far, he has only accused me once of yelling at him while he was driving, which was most likely right after he took a corner going at least 80mph and I might have yelled, "use the freaking brake!". It was in the moment.

I don't make new year's resolutions because the likelihood of me sticking to them is in the 0% range. However, this year, I didn't make a resolution per se, but I did decide that since I'm heading into my 40th year of being I am going to make the most of it. There are certain things I love doing and am passionate about and I decided that I was going to figure out a way to pursue those things because technically, I'm probably half-way through my life and should be doing what I love. No, I'm not quitting my day job, I'm just going to spend the hours after that working a little harder at realizing some dreams. I'm not inclined at this point to share specifically what I'm pursuing, mainly because if I fall flat on my arse I'd rather not have an audience.

As I mentioned, it's the big 4-0 this year and I can't tell you how excited I am for it. I know, you're head just jerked and you probably threw out a 'whizzah-wha?' but seriously, the 30's were a decade of character building and I have enough character. For my 40th, my most awesome folks wanted me to accompany them on a European trip and then it kind of morphed into a girls trip for me and my mom and a fried of mine. I thought about Hungary because it's the 'homeland' but spring can be rather iffy weather-wise, so I looked at Spain and the south of France, Italy or maybe Greece. It was decided that Greece was the destination of choice until I looked at the airfare. Now I don't know how this whole pricing thing works but it's not just fuel for the automobiles that is affected. The cost of flights is ridiculous and if it's because of fuel then I say drill, baby drill and fuel our own planes. Sheesh.

After spending much time on the internet playing the Travelocity game, I decided that maybe a girls trip to New York City would be a better (read: cheaper) choice. I've watched Man vs. Food and I'm all for hitting up every single one of those delis in Brooklyn, the falafel places in Hell's Kitchen, Ellis Island, a Broadway play, Yankee Stadium, Times Square, Central Park and the FoxNews studios. Yes, I do plan to eat and photograph my way through New York if that's where I end up going and rest assured, I'll be packing my running shoes because from what I've seen it's gonna be a whole lotta good that I'll need to work off.

3 comments:

katdish said...

New York is quite an experience. There's really no place like it on earth. Overwhelming! I don't think I could ever live there, but I wouldn't mind going back for a visit.

Candy said...

I love New York (trite, I know) but only to visit. And you had me at falafel. Oh. My.

And for the record, you're only probably a third of your way through your life, not half. You'll love your 40's, Annie. The only thing better was 50's.

Helen said...

I have never been to New York, but I'm sure you will have a great time! I hear you bring the good time with you!