Monday, March 29, 2010

A Day In DC

It was a two and a half hour drive to 'DC' from my brother's house that took us down long winding Virginia roads through small towns made up of wooded farmland dotted with old homes. We spotted dozens of turkeys in fields and trees (eight of them were stuffed and mounted on top of a house. Can you say Redneck?), three bald eagles, white tail deer and Baptist churches. Lots of Baptist churches.

On the way home late that evening, Taylor looked over at me and said, "Aunt Annie, that was the most epic trip to DC ever." Indeed it was. It was a day filled with seeing parts of our nation's capitol building that most people don't get to see, meeting and having our picture taken with a Congressman, watching a session in the House of Representatives, chatting with the Secret Service, acting like complete dorks at the Washington monument, having a squirrel chase after us, being humbled by the Gettysburg address at the Lincoln Monument, walking the length of the The Wall and seeing the names of all those who gave their lives in Vietnam and spending a lot of time with one of my friends, who is currently a page at the Capitol building.

Here are a few pictures that highlight our trip to DC.

Having our picture taken on the steps of the Capitol with Congressman Greg Walden (R-OR). >(That is Cassidy, my friend, who is standing next to the Congressman. She gave us an awesome tour of the Capitol through a maze of hallways, stairs, back doors, front doors, more stairs, elevators, offices and the House chamber.)



Yes, life in DC moves this fast. Just try driving there. (As Taylor said, "we were in a timewarp or something.) This picture was taken in the Rotunda at the Capitol building.



THE best tour guide ever of the Capitol Building.



They were just that happy to be in DC...







On a dare from Killian, Taylor runs alongside a jogger at the Washington Monument.
Taylor: Nice day for a jog.
Runner: Yes it is. I'm going 10. You wanna hang with me?
Taylor: Not really. Have a nice run.




The Vietnam Memorial. Otherwise known as The Wall.



Inside the Lincoln Memorial (which is awesome by the way).



I don't know if the squirrels are rabid, crazy or just extremely assertive but first they came at us and then they followed us. And then Taylor made friends with them. It was nuts. (snort!)



So those were a few highlights of DC. Of course the rest of the trip was a blast and we were sad to leave. It is good to be home, though Killian already wishes he were back in Virginia with his cousins and all of his hick friends.

16 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

Awesome pics, Annie. Looks like you had a great time. And stuffed turkeys on the roof is so 2009...

Candy said...

I loved DC - found it to be VERY emotional, especially seeing friends' names on the Viet Nam Memorial.

Billy probably has those antler thingies on the hood of his truck. Always a step ahead of the redneck culture.

Peter P said...

When I read about the eight turkeys that were stuffed, I read 'horse' instead of 'house' so I thought it said "eight of them were stuffed and put on top of a horse."

Strangely, that didn't surprise me. Rednecks do some strange stuff! Although I couldn't work out how you could make them all balance there after they were dead.

I figured they nailed them on.

Helen said...

I'm glad you had a good time.

D. K. Stangeland said...

um, did you really post that at 4am?

Annie K said...

Peter, eight stuffed turkeys on a horse? You can't make ths stuff up.

Billy, somehow I don't think in the land of redneck that turkeys
on a roof ever go out of style.

Annie K said...

Debi, I'm still on east coast time so it was actually 7am.

Amrita said...

Great sights of the national monuments.
The squrril looks so cute

~*Michelle*~ said...

That sounds like an amazing trip! Awesome photos too.

I, too, laughed out loud with the stuffed turkey redneck sighting.

JML said...

I love DC. It really is a beautiful place and something about being there makes you feel like our politics and government really work. It's so interesting!!

Great pics!

JML said...

I love DC. It really is a beautiful place and something about being there makes you feel like our politics and government really work. It's so interesting!!

Great pics!

Peter P said...

Annie, I'm not sure that eight stuffed turkeys on a horse is any more strange than eight stuffed turkeys on a house.

... I'm just sayin'

Marni said...

Awesome pics!!! It looks like you guys had a blast--although I was really disappointed to not see you raising a ruckus during a Congressional session. Or did you and C-SPAN was skeered to show it??

Tell Taylor I made friends with the squirrels at the White House when I went. One of them stalked me relentlessly for my chocolate covered almonds. I gave him one to be funny, then he wouldn't leave me alone. He kept chattering at me and trying to bite my ankles. I hate those stupid things. That's why I hit them with my car to this day...

;-)

sherri said...

Love your photos. SO happy you were able to enjoy this time with your family.

Rebecca on The Homefront said...

Sounds like such a wonderful trip! :) I totally *heart* DC, so I'm glad y'all were treated to a great time. Had to laugh out loud at the exchange with the runner...priceless! :)

Doug Spurling said...

Thank you. We were there for about 10 days when it was covered with snow a couple months ago. (I thought that looked like turkey feathers.)

Wish we would have taken time to site-see. We were too busy working. So thanks for the view through your visit.