Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Another Form of Lust

Maybe we're not lusting after something we don't have, but something we wish we didn't.

It was one of those thoughts that crept into my mind as I was driving in my car and heading nowhere in particular. I tend to do that. Put the car in drive, turn on the radio and get to where I'm going without much recollection of actually getting there. Perhaps it's because I've been too preoccupied lately with what life has dealt or maybe it's because I'm too preoccupied with trying to forget what life has dealt.

Lust is defined many ways, including: to yearn, crave or hunger for. As I mulled that thought over in my head, I wondered if we can lust, crave, or hunger for something we have to go away. An problem, a situation, maybe even a person or a habit. If we strongly desire something out of our lives does that constitute some form of lust?

What are your thoughts?

For more of Bridget Chumbleys One Word blog carnival please visit her blog and check out what other's are saying about this weeks word, lust.

7 comments:

Helen said...

I get what you mean. You are "lusting" after peace of mind, I think. I hope you get it.

Marni said...

Helen's right...you are "lusting" after peace of mind. And that's okay. When it's of God and His will, it ain't lust, thank goodness.

Stay brave...that which does not kill us, makes us stronger and you and your faith are gonna be darn-near bullet proof when this is over. Love you!

Candace Jean July 16 said...

Annie, this reminds me of my years in college when I loved reading Kahlil Gibran - I so remember his quote "The lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, and then a master."

And then I grew up and realized that God doesn't care as much about our comfort as He does our character. And that means He's smiling on you very large right now. I hope you feel His strength, and know you are in my prayers.

And don't forget to give Boz his hug from me tonight.

Bridget Chumbley said...

Annie, I also understand what you are saying.

You are lusting to find peace (like Helen said)... I pray that you find it... soon!

~*Michelle*~ said...

I like what Marni said "..you are "lusting" after peace of mind. And that's okay. When it's of God and His will, it ain't lust, thank goodness. "

God knows your heart, Annie...and you mean the world to Him.

Amrita said...

In my mind the 'lust ' conjures up an image of something negative or fleshly -worldly. Perhaps it can have a positive connotation

Joyce said...

This is a perspective I hadn't thought about. I think it depends on what the 'it' is...if it is something outside of God's will and you want it out of your life then I don't think that's lust...just a desire to be in God's will and for peace in your life. I think there is a line between desire and lust...we're told to desire the best gifts of God. I think it is when desire becomes destructive that it is called lust. Praying you find the peace of mind you are seeking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.