Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Certain Peace

At first glance it's a street like any other. And, I'd guess that for most folks there's nothing really special about driving this road. They just get on it to go from one place to the next. A connecting point for those going east to west, or vice versa.



For me, however, this road isn't just about getting from one place to the next it's about going somewhere with a purpose. When I crest the top of the hill, I don't just see telephone poles, transformer lines, cars, bad round-about art, clouds and a storm in the distance. What I see in my mind is what is unseen, and as I keep heading west, I know that peace is around a few corners. And, I'm willing to head into the storm clouds to reach it.

No one is immune from the storms of life. We can face the dark clouds of brokenness, addictions, heartache, loss, failed relationships or depression. Each storm can be different from the next and before we know it, we're unable to see anything but the darkness that surrounds us. I believe it's in these moments that each of us struggles to find peace.



As far back as I can remember I have found great peace in the mountains and it probably has something to do with the fact that I grew up surrounded by them. There is something to be said for feeling closer to God the higher up the mountain you go. At least for me anyway. I know for certain that peace is there because I've felt it, breathed it and walked it. I've experienced it.

I have faith that even when I can't see the mountains they are still there. I know without a doubt that when the storm passes those snow-capped peaks will still be standing just as majestically as they were before. And as I head west down that winding road, my peace is still just a few moments away.




For more on Peace, please visit my friend Bridget at One Word at a Time.

15 comments:

Glynn said...

My mother said that she always felt closer to God when she was in the mountains. And it wasn't the physical proximity she was talking about -- but the leaving of everything behind, back down there, all the troubles, woes, noise, cares, responsiblities, stuff. In the mountains, she could more easily hear the silence.

katdish said...

For me it's the beach, and it's been too long since I spent time there.

jasonS said...

Since I live in Alaska, there are mountains everywhere. It's amazing how the longer you live there, the more you get used to it (there's a sermon there I think). Then every once in a while, I look up and stand in awe again at the beauty and majesty. You're right, there's something powerful about it. Great post.

Marni said...

For me, it's the mountains too. I live in one of the flatest places ever ;-) but as a kid, my family and I backpacked around Durango, Silverton and Ouray Colorado every summer. And every chance we get, my kids and hubs and I head back to Colorado.

I feel God's enormity there. His creation takes my breath away and I find myself just weeping at his goodness and creativity.

Thank you for sharing your heart and for the great photos!


Love you girl. Keeping you lifted up.

Marni

Bridget Chumbley said...

The mountains are beautiful and can be so quiet and relaxing.

I prefer the ocean where I can listen to the crashing waves... but I think it is the same peaceful feeling, no matter where your 'place' is...

Russell Holloway said...

Thank you for linking peace to faith ... :-)

Maureen said...

He gave us many different kinds of mountains, some not of this earth and of our own making. Those here are among His most beautiful. . . and often the easier to climb.

Connie Arnold said...

There is something about being closer to God on a mountain and the beauty of nature that can be viewed near and far that bring a special feeling of peace. Thank you for sharing your lovely post!

S. Etole said...

The most beautiful view I ever had was from {almost} the top of Mt. Adams ... it was beyond description ...

M.L. Gallagher said...

I live at the foot of the Rockies and every day am in awe of the beauty edging the horizon to the west.

Thanks for the inspiration to look and see the beauty around me.

Helen said...

Ponds and lakes do it for me.

JoAnne said...

Great reminder of what stays constant in our lives and where to reclaim peace. I loved your visuals :)!

~*Michelle*~ said...

"There is something to be said for feeling closer to God the higher up the mountain you go. At least for me anyway. "

Yea and Amen!

I also find peace sitting by a brook and listening to and watching the water roll over the rocks.

Amrita said...

Thank you for this my friend.
I am facing a mountain. I was presenting a case for someone and the person I was defending caused a small avalanche. Lord help us, is my prayer

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.