Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Good News in Uncertain Times


We are living in interesting times. The economy is sinking fast, people are walking away from their homes in record numbers and foreclosures are at an all time high. Spending on credit has put millions into huge amounts of debt and with all the news of the bailout and the stock market, people are in a panic. I don't think there is anyone that is immune and not affected by the state of the economy.

When it comes to self-indulgence, over-indulgence and greed, Americans are at the top of the list. I have travelled to Third World countries and believe me, the poorest of the poor in our country are still better off than the poor in other countries. Our glutenous, greedy, want-it-all-now lifestyles are finally catching up with us. We have put our faith in our jobs, homes, possessions and the all-mighty dollar and we are seeing what happens when we trust in material things.

I find it interesting that we are experiencing something that happened a few thousand years ago - it is history repeating itself, which I know it has done more than once. People didn't get it then, and we still don't get it now. We are living James 5: Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded.... You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence.

I am thankful that my faith isn't in the money I make, the house I live in, the cars I drive and the stuff I have. That would truly be an empty and unfulfilled life. Instead, I have chosen to ride the wave of 'uncertainty in economic times' by focusing on the blessings in my life and living with a faith that even if I lost all of my material possessions tomorrow, there is still a God who is bigger than the deficit and He will take care of me no matter what.

And that is the best news ever.

No comments: