Monday, August 31, 2009

Life Is Like A Potato Harvest

The best part of harvesting my garden is when I finally get to dig for potatoes. This year I planted three rows of Yukon Gold and Red potatoes. I don't remember exactly where in the rows I planted what, but to me, being surprised by what I dig up is all part of the fun.

To me, digging up potatoes is a lot like a treasure hunt. I carefully sink the shovel into the ground around the plant, loosen the dirt and then start running my hands through the dirt in search of the treasure. I love the feel of the earth in my fingers and the moment when they finally grasp the potato. There comes a point when I finally have to make myself stop digging because the bag is over flowing, so I reluctantly put the shovel aside.

This afternoon, as I was elbow deep in the potato trenches, I realized something about the actual potato plant:

1) The bigger, more beautiful plants did not necessarily mean the bigger the harvest. In fact these were the plants that had fewer potatoes.

2) The smaller, more 'sorry' looking plants yielded some of the biggest, nicest, most abundant amount of potatoes.

As I kept digging, I thought about what I could compare these interesting revelations to in life. But instead of me telling you what I think, I'd like to hear what your thoughts are and what comes to mind when you picture the potato harvest of two very opposite plants. The big beautiful plant that doesn't produce much versus the small, spindly plant that produces an abundance.

13 comments:

sherri said...

Probably the smaller has deeper roots? More "grounded".

Smaller is ALWAYS better Annie. ALWAYS!

Seriously, I love this illustration.
There's a whole LONG post here really.

Candace Jean July 16 said...

Things are not always as they appear or as we expect, are they? There are no worthless potatoes. Really.

Loved your illustration!

Helen said...

I'm starting to wonder if I may be full of potatoes....

Rebecca on The Homefront said...

Well, I'd say that the plant which spent it's time looking the best was the one with the poorer harvest, while the plant which maybe looked less impressive on the outside was bearing the most fruit.

Interesting that it all depends on where we send our "nutrients," isn't it? There's only so much to go around in a season...we have to decide whether to grow or bear.

Wendy said...

The inner "beauty" is what really matters. What's outside is just for show.

Billy Coffey said...

Wow, and here I was digging potatoes this evening and only thinking about the Yankee game I had to hurry up and watch.

Me, I'm thinking that it's the things deep down and hidden from everyone else that will eventually be dug up for the world to see. That's been true in my life, anyway.

Great post, Annie.

Steph @Red Clay Diaries said...

What everyone else said. (Except maybe Sherri. Smaller isn't ALWAYS better.:)

I especially loved Rebecca's contribution:

"Interesting that it all depends on where we send our "nutrients," isn't it? There's only so much to go around in a season...we have to decide whether to grow or bear."

AMEN.

Amrita said...

Potatoes are tubers or roots.
The bigger plants suck up the nourishment and the roots don 't go very deep.

The smaller plants share or distribute the nourishment to the most important part of the plant - the roots!!!

Not sure if it made sense.

Beth said...

Hmmm....I just seem to picture some of those small, plain, unassuming, quiet, non-fancy people that often get overlooked by many, but when you get to know them, they are these huge amazing beautiful spiritual giants!

Oh, to be a great potato! (I don't think I've ever said that before.)

~*Michelle*~ said...

WOW, this is great thought provoking post. I am thinking along the lines of first impressions can be deceiving and the real substance beneath what the world sees on the outside.

this was good!

Doug Spurling said...

Great post and comments. I thought of Jesus words, the last shall be first. Now, I don't know why I thought of it...but it fits somewhere in here doesn't it? :)

Bonnie Gray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FaithBarista Bonnie said...

Great post, Annie.

The smaller ones might be easily passed over, but those who love gourmet cooking and enjoy sweet potatoes, they the perfect ones to mine.

Sweet!