Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Junk Epiphany

We endured the mother of all storms today and it was madness I tell you. Over two inches of hail fell where I worked and then there was the deluge of rain. I'd play the video I took from my phone, but I sound like a dork (because something struck me funny and I'm laughing so hard) so I'll spare you all the agony.

Anyway, the clean up crews are out in full force around the city trying to pump water from the streets and overpasses, and tow the cars whose drivers thought they could drive through 'puddles' of water up to their windows. Bet that was a bummer in someones day.

This afternoon as I was watching the rain come down in sheets I thought to myself how glad I was that we got all of the garage sale stuff put into the trailer yesterday. I'd hate to have all that stuff get wet and ruined. There are people out there that want to pay me money to have it. That alone amazes me and it would you if you saw what was in the trailer.

I'm sure you're wondering how we got to have some much 'stuff'. Well, when you combine two households with kids, there is a lot of stuff. His. Hers. His kids'. Her kids'. There may be some ex's leftovers too(unless they take it all in the divorce, and then you don't have to worry about having a garage sale).

When Jon and I were about done yesterday, I looked in the trailer, and said to Jon, 'that is a lot of junk'.

His reply was, 'that is a lot of junk that someone will want'.

And he's right.

And then I thought about that junk in the trailer all evening and when I woke up this morning I was still going through the contents of the trailer in my mind.

It was precisely during the blow drying of my hair this morning when the stark realization hit me as to why I couldn't stop thinking about that trailer full of garage sale stuff. It's because that trailer is like a lot peoples lives. Full of junk. Junk that we really need to get rid of but we just hold on to it even when it has no value or purpose in our lives. Junk that takes up valuable space.

And then the second realization hit: God is like a professional garage saler and he's coming to our house and really wants our junk. All of it. He even paid in advance for it and all we have to do is hook up the trailer to His Chevy pickup and He'll take it all away. And you know what? Whenever the junk starts accumulating in the trailer, He'll take it away again. And again. And again.

I know it sounds crazy, but that is how God seems to point things out in my life that I need to evaluate. I usually get these epiphanys somewhere between the make-up and hair process in the morning. I think God knows He's got about a 20 minute window and He has to work fast.

So, all day I've been pondering the junk I need to get rid of and just how I need to go about it. Yes, sometimes it's time to clean out the trailer and have a good old fashioned garage sale.

What junk are you carrying around that needs to go? Bitterness? Unforgiveness? Pity? Addictions? Lack of faith? Broken relationships? Disappointment? Greed? Pride?

God has already paid for your junk, so why are you storing it in the trailer? I dare you to get rid of it.

6 comments:

sherri said...

Annie, this is perfect. "One man's junk is another man's treasure..."

We cast aside old, worn, broken things we no longer want or need. He sees the value and potential and says, "Oh, this will be PERFECT! I know I can still use it. I'll just clean it up and fix a few things and it will be better than before."

Love the analogy. Especially since I just had a mega yard sale and it is all still fresh in my mind.

Helen said...

Mmmm....not a fan of having garage sales....

Beth said...

Oooo...this is good! I especially like: "I think God knows He's got about a 20 minute window and He has to work fast." Too true! And I'm laughing picturing God backing up his Chevy...that's gotta be a BIG ol' truck!

Tony C said...

If you haven't read The Shack...you should. Your analogy is right in line with the premise of the Christian fiction book. I loved it.

We do tend to carry a lot around with us when we don't have to, and we fail to realize the affect it has on our lives, our attitudes, our relationships and our worship.

Great post...sorry about the funny hail.

Billy Coffey said...

I have A LOT of junk I still carry around with me. Maybe I need to give God a call. And I bet He drives a kickin' Chevy.

That was a great post, Annie.

Annie K said...

@ Beth, I was going to say 30 minute window but I would've appeared vain. I mean how long can it take to put on some make up.

@ Tony, I read The Shack. The only thing was I kept picturing God looking like Oprah in The Color Purple. I just couldn't get that out of my mind.

@ Helen, I hate garage sales but I'm too cheap to take it to the dump.

@ Billy, actually, God's favorite car to cruise around in is a 1961 Impala (preferably a bubble top) but he drives the truck strictly for junk pick ups.