Thursday, June 11, 2009

They Say It's Your Birthday, Kenz!



It was 17 years ago today that Kenzi made her grand entrance into this big old world at Evans Army Hospital in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I was barely 21 years old and the thought of being a mom was exciting, scary and overwhelming at the same time.

Kenzi was stubborn, strong-willed and determined from the get-go and I should have known there would be some challenges along the way when at the tender age of two, she stuck out her tongue and gave her great-grandpa a big old 'ptttthhhhhhhht!' when he got snappy with me. I guess it was a sign of just how loyal Kenz would be to others.

While Kenz and I have had some challenges and differences and spent plenty of moments in stare-down mode, there is no doubt just how much we love each other. Here's what I love about Kenz:
*She has a huge heart for others.
*She's independent.
*She can't be pushed around and sticks to her guns.
*She loves with her whole heart.
*She has an awesome laugh.
*She is tons of fun to be around.
*She likes the simple things in life.
*She'll take country over city.
*Kenz will beat you up if you mess with her brother (speaking from experience).
*She isn't afraid to hang out with her mom when she's around her friends.
*She wants to live in a small town, on a ranch with horses, dogs and cats.
*Kenz could be dropped off in the middle of the desert and find her way home with no problem (I told you she was determined).

My dad affectionately calls her 'Annie intensified' and my old teachers call her by my name because she's a spitting image of me in high school.

Kenz has told me more than once, 'mom, I can't wait to be grown up so we can just be best friends.' You know what Kenz? I don't want you to grow up too fast, but I can't wait for that either. But let's not rush it.

Happy birthday Kenz. I love you!



Oh, and here's how Kenz feels about bugs. Good times.

8 comments:

Candace Jean July 16 said...

Blessings to both of you on Kenz's big day! "Annie intensified" - that's a good thing!

Annie K said...

Thanks Candy.

And Dang....I couldn't get the video to work. It was a doozy for sure!

Helen said...

Happy Birthday, Kenzi. I didn't think mom would approve of the Chippendale video. Sorry.

katdish said...

Happy Birthday Kenzi! Thanks for sharing your crazy @$$ mom with the rest of us.

I remember the bug video. I almost peed my pants! These types of things are good to remember for when you get a visit from katdish.

Billy Coffey said...

Likes the simple things? Country over city? A penchant for violence? Small town aspirations? Sheesh Annie, you sure can raise 'em right.

Happy birthday, Kenzi! I'll sing Freebird, sip some shine, and wave my rebel flag in your honor tonight.

Diane said...

Awww... she sounds like a great kid... but she has a great mom!

Tell her Happy Birthday from Blogland and Virginia!

Amrita said...

Happy birthday Kenzi. Many happy returns of the Day

Beth said...

Happy birthday, Kenzi...sending ya some blog love from Indiana!