Friday, March 20, 2009

In A Nutshell

After being sick for so dang long, I couldn't help but feel the need to make a mad dash for the outdoors after work. Temps were hovering at 60°, the sun was out and so I thought Boz and I would head down to the river. As soon as I said I'm taking Boz to the river and grabbed the leash he full-on freaked out. The river is his favorite place and he went nuts. (We're supposed to have dogs on a leash at all times, but that is cruel and unusual punishment for a dog like Boz who just wants to run. He is the Forrest Gump of dogs.) I didn't make it the whole 3 mile loop because I started hacking, again, but I got in a good couple o' miles and darn if it didn't feel good to just be outside. At least the dog thought so.

It's good to feel at least half-way normal again(yeah, I know, that is probably a relative term where I'm concerned, especially in light of the fact that my daughter just told me I'm weird. But she'll always tell you I'm her favorite mom)and it helps that the weather going into the weekend is very conducive to outdoor activity. Hopefully tomorrow I can make the whole three miles.

My best bud Steph was in town last weekend. We've known each other since 5th grade. Unfortunately I was sick, but we still got to spend some time together and I've learned over the years that no matter how far apart we live, the minute we are in each other's company we just pick up where we left off. Our boys are all great friends and she brought her 14 year old son, who is best buds with my son. They had a great time together and Killian spent the entire weekend with them. I think I saw him for a few fleeting moments. Other than that, he was busy snowboarding, doing crazy boy things and I think he even got roped into some shopping with Steph and her mom. It's good training for him. (Yes, that is someone laying down on the dock behind us with a home made pina colada in their hand and you'll notice I'm sporting a lei. It's our good friend John and this was a little 4th of July gathering we had at the cabin on the river. Good times.)

Jon felt the ravages of the crud worse than I. He seemed to have a really bad reaction to the medication and he's still a quart low. He has been cooped up since Sunday and finally today he ventured over to his friends house for a short visit. Kenz informed me when I got home that Jon told her 'I just have to go somewhere. I have to get out of this house.' It's probably a good thing, now that #4 & #5 have been slayed today. I'm thinking Jon would probably dig this place right about now.

I think I have the two best kids in the world. They were very concerned about me and Jon this past week. Kenz even stepped up and drove Jon to the doctor, went to Costco and sat in line for 45 minutes to get his prescription, bought the best chicken soup, cooked for Jon when I wasn't around and even made a special trip to get the good Popsicles. I'd like to say I trained her right, but a heart like that isn't 'trained', I think you either have it or you don't. And both my kids have huge hearts for others and I am a very proud mama for that.

Here's to wishing you all a very awesome weekend!

4 comments:

Helen said...

I am glad your kids were helful. I am also glad that you are feeling better. Looking forward to your Hot Hungarian post.

Annie K said...

Uh, Helen, the kids were more helPful than helful - but they have been both before. Trust me. ;)

And the Hungarian post is a work in progress. It's becoming a book!

Michelle said...

Hi Annie, so i have a question....in the photo of you are your best bud, which one is you?? Either way, you are both gorgeous but I wanna know you!!!

Your kids are beautiful too!! I am in awe of your beautiful family!!

Did you do the 3 miler today? Your doggie is spectacular!!!

Annie K said...

Aww...thanks Michelle. I'm the one on the right with the big goofy grin. ;)

I didn't get out and do the three miles...it started raining. Can you believe it? Like I said...Murphy's law! Ugh!