Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I've Got Nothin' But This

Normally this time of year all I can think about is Mexico, Mexico, Mexico. I'm anticipating an off-season trip to some little out of the way town with very few people. That's how Jon and I prefer to travel. We don't do spring break - although my kids and I did Mexico at Christmas time a few years back but it was a little town with few people - and we don't do big resorts. Last May when Jon and I were in Tulum everything was fabulous until we had to get to the airport in Cancun which we thought we'd get to via downtown. Needless to say, I don't do mass quantities of Mexican drivers in a town roughly half the size of Texas and I was a little frazzled by the time we got to the airport. Not to mention it was my first day of the stomach flu (no, not caused by the food, but a real-life 100% authentic stomach flu which I had been infected with before we left for Mexico) and let me just ask if you've ever dealt with that on a plane at 40,000 feet. Luckily, we had the last two rows in the back of the plane, right next to the little bathroom. God provides.

I can't wait to go back to Mexico, but all I can think about lately is finding a nice little place in the woods away from it all to hang out. I'm like pre-hermit or something. I don't want to be around a bunch of people. I just want some movies, a few good books, possibly some trash mags for amusement (and because it makes me feel better knowing that my life isn't nearly as screwed up as I think and I know this because all I have to do is read the cover in the check out line of my local Safeway), some games to play with the kids, a bike to ride in case the weather quits being so flippin' cold and a blazing fire. I know, I'm a simple gal and I don't want much. Oh yeah, don't forget the dog. He'd be ticked if I left him home when there are so many trees where I'm going if you know what I mean. And squirrels. Boz loves the squirrels too.

13 comments:

Diane said...

A nice little place in the woods sounds like Heaven. I'm planning our Easter camping trip. Last year it was freezing... but I don't care what the weather is... it'll still be wonderful. Wanna come along? :)

Debbie said...

I am with you...when I think of a 'perfect' getaway, it involves quiet, peace and loads of books!! :)

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

Oh, I waaaaanna go to a little towwwwwwwwn in Mexicooooo... [whining]

Does Jon speak Spanish too, or do you translate?

A cabin in the woods sounds really fun too. Might have to look into that for our spring break.

Annie K said...

Diane, sign me up! I love Virginia.

Debbie, ditto!

Steph, I am the speaker of Spanish in our house. Jon speaks what we call El Juan-o. He puts an 'el' infront of everything and an 'o' after everything. He tried once to speak to a little Mexican lady and I finally looked at him and told him to save his 'Spanish' for home and let me do the communicating when we're in a country where Spanish is spoken. It just works out better for every juan. (HA! I continue to crack myself up.)

sherri said...

I don't speak Spanish but I would love to come along.

We also love quiet getaways.

Helen said...

Chicago has forest preserves near Mexican neighborhoods. I'm just saying....

Annie K said...

Yeah Sherri - hard to have a 'quiet' getaway when you're roaring up on a Harley.

Ooops.

Annie K said...

Helen, I'd feel right at home. Seriously. And I'm just sayin'.

Helen said...

My point is that you should come to Chicago, because we have it all. We even have a beach.

Diane said...

I am 5'6"... I didn't know sarcasm dictated height, but you called it just right ;). I think Ryan's 5'2" assessment was either about me coming down to her level (shut up, you) or her peering up at me all the time (though I thought that would make me taller... hmmmm). Clearly the child does NOT put me on a pedestal. Just as well... it hurts when you off those! :)

Michelle said...

I am right there with you Annie K!!!

What you are describing sounds heavenly!! Can I come along? I will run every day and not be any trouble.

I just need to be fed once in a while!!!

Happy Wednesday!!!

katdish said...

So, are you going to the woods over Spring Break? I'm confused.

Tomorrow's high in Houston is supposed to be 55. Yesterday it was 88. If you don't like the weather here, wait a few hours...

Annie K said...

Kat, naahhh. I'll wait until after SB - when it's cheaper and everyone has gone back to their own town.

Michelle, I can show you some awesome running trails out here.