Friday, March 27, 2009

Random Friday

I'm glad it's Friday. Especially this Friday because the weather is supposed to be really decent this weekend, which means Jon will wash my car (I hope) and I'll get some walks in on the river trail.

It's been a crazy week in blogdom because it seems like everyone has been talking about prayer and religion. It's interesting for me to read others views on these two subjects because it's something so personal and it's allowing others to see your heart. For some, it's probably a great risk because there is such fear that others will condemn based on what they do or don't believe.

Those who know me know that I am a Christian (I prefer not to call myself religious because I feel that takes away from WHO I believe in and have a relationship with, which is Jesus Christ) and that prayer is a pretty sacred thing to me. When someone asks me to pray for them or others, that is a great privilege for me and extremely humbling - that someone would trust me enough to intercede for them. Let me just say that if you or someone you know has a need, you can always ask me to pray and I am more than happy to.

I wanted to start the weekend off with something a little bit o' fun and so I thought I'd throw out some more useless and random facts about myself. It's just all part of the package. Lucky Jon.

Which country are you from?
I was born in America, but my heritage is Hungarian, Romanian and English. When I was a teen, my parents probably thought I was from outer space. Luckily, I live back on earth now, smack dab in the middle of Oregon.

What do you do? What is your job?
Well, it's rather complicated right now, but lets just say I'm a public employee that buys lots of stuff. I also coach 9th grade volleyball at my old alma matter. Add wife, mother, housekeeper extraordinaire, blogger and chief dog walker (and whisperer in our house) to the list and that about sums it up.

Are you a morning or night person?
Well, since my dad's family is from Transylvania you'd think I'd be more of a night person (please...no vampire jokes), but I prefer morning. Especially in the summer. I like to get up extra early, go out on my deck with my coffee and bible and take in the mountain view.

Do you have brothers or sisters?
I have two older brothers. Infamous and famous. Seriously. One brother has 12 kids. He's my hero. Actually, his wife is.

What kind of people do you like?
All kinds. I know it must shock you that most of my friends do not lean hard right or are 'churchy'(even though now that I think about my blog buds more fit into that category..hmmm....). I mean, I have those too, but I prefer an eclectic mix and don't base my friendships on who you voted for or whether you believe in God or not. It's more of a 'hey, I really dig this person and think they are pretty cool to hang around and have a great time with them.' In other words, at my wine tasting party you'll find the pastor and the Hells Angel(What? Hells Angels can't like the finer things in life like wine?).

What are you best at?
When I was growing up it was whining. Hopefully I've outgrown that somewhat. I'm pretty good at messing up. Yes, I'm a messy Christian and I've got the whole flawed human thing down to a tee. But that has made me pretty good at accepting God's grace for my shortcomings. Oh, and I can make a pretty mean batch of Chile Verde and dish up a good old fashioned plate of sour cream garlic mashed potatoes with hamburger gravy.

Which languages do you speak?
English and Spanish. I was pretty lucky growing up with my Mexican friends because that was better than any Spanish class in school. I mean, working in their restaurants, if someone didn't want onions on their burrito I'd better be able to tell that to the cook in Spanish or we were gonna have all kinds of upset customers.

Who has had the most influence in your life?
Probably my parents. I am very close to them, talk to them almost daily and we genuinely have a great time when we are together. They both have incredible hearts for others, have been involved in missions all over the world and would do anything for anyone. They are most definitely where I get my strong desire for and sense of adventure.

Would you rather take pictures or be in pictures?
I love taking pictures and think of myself as a somewhat amateur (and I mean amateur) photographer. OK, I like the spotlight too, but only if my hair and makeup look good. I'm vain that way.

How many times did you move as a child?
Zero. I even ended up buying the house I grew up in from my parents. Now my kids on the other hand, have lived in four different states (Oregon, Colorado, Georgia, Wyoming) (we can thank the Army for some of that) and countless houses. Let's just say they are good at 'adjusting' to new surroundings.

Alright, that's enough for now. I don't want to overwhelm you too much before the weekend. After all, it's Friday and I am outta here! And fabulous weekend to you.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi love how are you??

Interesting tidbits into your life! I like reading about you!! AND your so pretty!!

Oregon must be interesting!! And beautiful!!!

Have a great weekend!

katdish said...

Funny, loyal, compassionate, smart - you forgot those things!

Amrita said...

Hi Annie, lovely to read your blog.

My friendship cirle matches yours - all kinds - fun to hang out with.

The sourcream garlic mashed potatoes sound divine to me.I must check out the Chile Verde.

Helen said...

My dad told me that the vampire legend wasn't a Hungarian thing, but a Hollywood thing. What does your dad say about it?

sherri said...

Love reading about you.

You are my kind of girl Annie.

(Am I the Hell's Angel friend you spoke of?)

Annie K said...

Michelle, you should come check out Oregon!

Thanks for adding those Kat. :) (had to.)

Amrita, you check out the chile verde and I'm heading over to Sherri's for your soup recipe. Yum!

Helen, I do recall seeing anyone with fangs in our family. Must be a Hollywood legend.

Sherri, you're more of a Heavens Angel with a wild streak.

Debbie said...

what a great post!! Thanks for sharing some of your heart with us!!!!

Mare said...

Love getting to hear more about who you are!

Billy Coffey said...

Glad I wandered here to your blog. It's nice to find someone else who's talent is messing things up!

Glad you're living back on earth now. I hear Oregon's a mighty fine place...