Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In The Spirit of Thanks

There are things in my life that I sometimes take for granted. I don't mean to, but I get into the groove of everyday life and it just happens. I don't want to live a 'granted' life, I want to live a thankful life. So, I have decided to start a new habit of taking a moment each day to really reflect on what I'm thankful for. I hope that it will lessen the grantedness and help me to see just how lucky I am and what blessings I have.

Here are a few things that I am thankful for.

1. That I love my husband more each day and we we have a great time together no matter where we are or what we're doing.

2. Being able to wrap my arms around my kids and feel their arms wrapped around me.

3. The awesome relationship I have with my parents.

4. Sitting around with my whole family and laughing about growing up in the small town of Bend.

5. That my kids are secure in knowing how much I love them.

6. Being in perfect health.

7. Lifelong friends that no matter how long it's been since you've seen them, it's just like it was yesterday.

8. 70 degree sunshiny days in November.

9. A coffee pot that always works when I push the button first thing in the morning.

10. Hearing my children laugh.

That's just a few on my list and I could go on and on now that I've gotten started. So what totally awesome things would you have on your list? I'd love to know.

Here's to new habits!

6 comments:

sherri said...

1. A husband that let's me be me.
2. A close knit family
3. Friends to keep my day fun
4. The ability to learn something new, at my age
5. Spanx
6. The computer and the Cyber world
connecting me to endless numbers of people
7. AN awesome church and pastor to help me grow
8.VELVEETA CHEESE
9. A car that runs well
10. HIGH HEEL SHOES!!!!!!!

Helen said...

1. A husband that knows me inside and out and loves me anyway.
2. My mom knows me inside and out and loves me anyway.
3. My husband is healthy and has a job.
4. My mom is healthy (I know, she can't walk, but she is healthy for her, you know)
5. I am healthy and able to take care of my mom.
6. My cousin's husband (who is also my husband's best friend) is in remission.
7. I have a home.
8. I have enough food to contribute to my local food pantry, instead of withdraw food from it.
9. Old friends.
10. New friends.
11. The internet.
12. Orthotics.
13. Sneakers.
14. Flush toilets. (It is good to be able to make the bad things go away, and I am not kidding. This is the one thing I would HATE to do without for more than twenty-four hours. If I traveled backward in time, I'd have to hold it in until I returned...Okay, I've used a portopotty, but not on a regular basis)
15. Orange juice.


I usually tell God my thank you list at the end of the day. Sometimes I fall asleep, but somehow I think He doesn't mind...

sherri said...

Helen, I don't do "public restrooms" even with flushing toilets. I'm a "holder inner".
makes travel a bit complicated.
so, I need to add "a good strong bladder" to my list!
I know, I know, TMI!

Good morning everyone!

lacey ellen said...

Annie-
I just read your comment on "Stuff Christians Like" and, can I just say, Thank you... I was reading through everything and my heart was just slowly breaking. I couldn't agree more with your comment. I know I'm not going to love all-things-Christian, but I was so glad to see that someone else didn't love calling out other people (saved or unsaved) by name to say they didn't love them. I don't think it was the intention of the blog at all... but wow!
Anyway, to comment on your very uplifting post... My parents split when I was 5 and I took it a little hard. My mom used to cheer me up with treats like 1. a quarter for every good thing I could tell her about school or 2. a cookie for every good thing I could tell her about my sister or 3. a hug for all the positive things I could say about who I was created to be.
I LOVE that you've made this list. I still make my "5 good things" lists when I'm feeling like life's gotten tough and I need to remember who God made me to be and who I am as His daughter. Even the little things like Sherri's High Heeled Shoes (which I also love!).
Anyway, All that to say, it's great to meet you...

Annie K said...

Ladies - those are all such wonderful lists! (Sherri, I always say 'EW' if I'm with someone in the Velveeta isle...but I secretly love it melted on chips with salsa!!)

Helen, AMEN on indoor plumbing. I take that oh-so for granted!

Lacey Ellen, welcome to my blog- I'm so glad you stopped by! That is a lovely thing your mom instilled in you and it's great that you are still using it! I hope to see you around often! ;)

Being thankful is so much fun...!!

Beth said...

I am thankful for:
1. My hubby.
2. My healthy, bright and beautiful kiddos
3. My extended family
4. My husband's family, who loves me even though I'm kind of an alien to them I think...
5. A heater that works
6. www.nickjr.com
7. diaper wipes
8. A God who forgives
9. A super supreme pastor's wife
10. A pastor and a church that follow the Word of God even when the going gets tough
11. My piano
12. My Bible
13. New friends!
Wow, I could go on...thanks, Annie!