Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Writing On The Ground

I had an interesting conversation with my mom today when she joined me on the drive to take my son to visit his cousin for the week (2 hours each way, so plenty o' time to chat). I guess I've always had this idea that when I get to heaven there will be time each day where it will be like one big 'Q & A' session. I'll ask God about all the 'mysteries' of life and he'll finally tell me the answers. It'll be the ultimate 'Ah-Ha' moment.

In my mind, one of the biggest mysteries in the bible is in John 8. You know, the story where the sneaky-dirty Pharisees bring the adulterous woman to Jesus and tell him that 'the Law according to Moses' states she should be stoned to death. It was a trap so that they could have a basis to accuse Jesus. Like I said, sneaky and dirty. But Jesus was on to them and instead, bent down and began writing on the ground. He also threw a great verse at them; 'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.' And then he wrote on the ground some more.

So what did he write on the ground? The bible never tells us, so this is where I have to use my imagination and take a wild guess. I'm pretty sure that Jesus didn't just all-of-a-sudden have the urge to doodle ichthus', or start a rousing game of tic-tac-toe or that dot game where you try to make boxes. No, I think, based on how quickly the Pharisees 'disappeared' that Jesus may have been writing their names and sins on the ground.

Will I ever know the answer? Like I said, I've often thought that we'll have to opportunity to ask when we get to heaven. My mom on the other hand had an interesting comment about that. She thinks we'll just know. Her belief is that because we will have new bodies, minds and the ultimate knowledge of Christ that we may very well just know the answers to what mystifies us. I have never thought about it like that but she definitely has me thinking now.

So what's your take on this? What do you think Jesus wrote on the ground?

Will there be the ultimate 'Q & A' session or will we just know?


PS - On a different subject... As some of you know, my mother-in-law (Loretta - which is interesting because that is my mom's name also) suffered a severe stroke in early July. She is in a nursing home and totally dependant on others for all of her needs. It has been so difficult emotionally for the family because Loretta has always been such a giving and loving person and there is always the question 'why her?'. We have to trust that the Lord is in control and has this precious person firmly in His loving arms. My husband has started a web site about his mom with updates, a 'blog' and a place for visitors to sign the guestbook. He would love to hear from you and share any encouragement with Loretta that you would pass on. You can visit Loretta's website here and we always appreciate prayers and words of encouragement from you.

4 comments:

Sherri said...

I had never thought about what he was writing, but I bet you're right. That would make sense.

I've been reading about these Pharisees and Saducees and He always handled them pretty sternly, so I'm sure it was something direct and "to the point".

I agree with your Mom, I also think we will just know, or once in His presence, our questions will seem so futile, we won't even care.

Still praying for your mother-in-law and your family. I know that is hard situation. I've also had questions about my Dad, an annointed preacher of the Gospel who gave his life to minister to people, and because of a stroke, can't preach ( or play music which was another gift). God has brought him a long way though. He is home with all of us. And still the Patriarch of our family.

Wish there was a way to fix up a prayer list on my side bar where needs could be posted there by the commenter and would stay till they removed them.
Is there a way to do that?
Anyone know how?

Helen said...

I agree with your Q and A idea. We will be deepening our relationship with Jesus in Heaven. Expressing our wonders during face time with Him would be part of that, I would think. Or, since He just knows what we wonder, He will take us aside and share it with us like a beautiful secret. Then He will smile as we excitedly share our beautiful secrets with each other, and come back to Him and say "I never wondered about that before, but that is so cool!" I think the constant discovery will be part of the beauty of Heaven.

I will check out your husband's blog site immediately.

Beth said...

Why have I never thought about what Jesus wrote on the ground? I'll have to think more on that one.

I think I'm more in the camp with your mom that I picture us not caring so much about our questions or just knowing all the answers once we have our new bodies and minds. But I sure like the picture Helen paints of Jesus sharing secrets with us, too. That is a beautiful thought!

Annie K said...

Sherri, thanks so much for the prayers and well-wishes for my mother-in-law! You rock!

Helen, thanks for sharing your story on her site. That was really awesome! You rock too!

Beth, your family is so stinkin' cute!

Anyone have anything that 'mystifies' them?