Friday, November 28, 2008

Ye Old Christmas Quiz

So it's the day after Thanksgiving and I'm already feeling a little bit Scrooge. (Could be the fact that I spent all morning at the DMV, one guy tells me to do one thing and after going back and waiting half my life again the gal tells me that was not the correct answer. So all that waiting for naught and Jon is now on his way to the DMV. Oregon is one of the lamest states ever.)

I promised my friend Sherri (who writes an awesome blog) that I would answer her Christmas quiz and post it on my blog today. I am going to apologize up front should there be an unusual level of sarcasm or scroogeness in my answers.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Mostly envelopes. I'm big on gift cards since we have all teenagers and they prefer to pick out their own stuff.

2. Real tree or Artificial?
I want to get an artificial tree because I can't stand how the pine needles start falling off immediately. I didn't even have a tree last year. Yeah, can you say l-a-m-e.

3. When do you put up the tree?
IF I buy one as soon as I purchase it.

4. When do you take the tree down?
The day after Christmas. See note on pine needles in question #2.

5. Do you like eggnog?
Depends on what is in it.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
A Raggedy Ann doll. I still have it.

7. Hardest person to buy for?
My step-kids, so I pretty much leave it up to Jon.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
Kenzi. This year she has requested no gifts, just money. Teenagers...

9. Do you have a nativity scene?
I actually have two but haven't seen them in about three years. They're in a box somewhere...

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
I haven't done either in almost five years. I will add that to my New Year's resolutions.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Bad perfume.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
It's a Wonderful Life.

13. When do you start shopping?
Any day there aren't huge crowds. I never go the day after Thanksgiving because people are so ridiculous.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
I don't think I've done anything so low as that but I've witnessed my daughter receiving a gift that has kept on giving.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Oyster stuffing and sweet potatoes. (Just kidding. I knew that would freak Jon out.)

16. Lights on the tree?
All white. When I have a tree.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
Traditional stuff like, 'O Holy Night', 'Joy To The World', etc. But I'm not ready to start hearing that yet.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Both. But, this year we will probably stay home because we don't have the kids(except Kenzi) until the day after Christmas.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's?
Sleepy, Dopey, Doc, Sneezy... and Rudolph.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
When I was a heathen it was a bow, but now that I'm a better Christian it's an angel.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Depends on when we have the kids (yeah, blended families...) and where we are, yada, yada. But most of us like to open gifts on Christmas eve because we are so impatient that way.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
Pushy people and hearing kids saying 'I want...I want...I want....'. People have totally forgotten WHY we have CHRISTmas in the first place.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
I prefer silver and blue with white lights on the tree. When I have a tree.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
Is this #15 re-worded? I'd prefer prime rib with oyster stuffing and sweet potatoes. (Ok, just the prime rib.)

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
World peace. (But since I'm a realist and know that won't happen - and it's a cheesy answer anyway, I'll take a new washer and dryer.)

26. Who is most likely to respond to this?
Everyone who has already responded...

27. Who is least likely to respond to this?
Nobama and NSYNC.

28. What was your most memorable magical memory from your adulthood?
I'm still waiting for it. But I'm sure it will involve a sleigh ride, moonlight glistening on the snow, snowflakes on my eyelashes and Bing Crosby singing in the background.

29. Have you ever been involved in a Christmas gift prank?
No, but my grandma's birthday was April 1st and I always wanted to make a cardboard cake for her.

30. Favorite Christmas Cartoon?
Peanuts, of course.

5 comments:

Mare said...

I just chatted with a friend back home who returned from shopping and was on her way out again. I think people that go out today are either insane or some of the most patient/courageous people I know. I just couldn't do it. No way.

Helen said...

In response to number 5...nothing until you are done at the DMV. Be careful with the gift cards that the store doesn't go out of business. I usually give gift cards, but I already have a card for Bennigans that isn't good since they went out of business. This year I am giving cash, and hoping the U.S. treasury doesn't go out of business.

sherri said...

Annie,
The two of us are the only people I know who don't shop on the day after Thnksgiving!
I CAN'T STAND IT!
DId you know a security guard at Wal-mart in New Jersey was trampled to death by the crowd that rushed to be the first to get in? I say say lock up those selfish shoppers nd throw away the key! (They probably saved $10!)
Now I REALLY won't ever go.

ABout your tree, the last real tree that we puchased many years ago, was dropping needles at such a fast pace the ornaments were falling off the tree ! Really. We kept watering it but to no avail. We were so afraid of the fire hazard in addition to the mess, that afterthey opened their gifts on Christmas EVE MORNING, we threw it out! Here, you put your real trees out on the curb and the city's street dept. will haul them for you.
Can you imagine what people were thinking when they drove by on our very busy street onCHristmas Eve Morn to find the discarded tree? There were runors all over this small town that Big AL and I had a huge fight!

Beth said...

Do you have something against oyster dressing? Or does Jon? My great grandma used to make it, and I think I was the only kid in the world who liked it...

I really wish NSYNC would collectively answer this quiz. That would be awesome. They could sing the answers.

And add me to the people who do not shop the day after Thanksgiving. I see my family so little, I don't want to waste that time shopping!

Annie K said...

Beth, most people cringe at oyster stuffing but I secretly like it. Don't tell anyone. ;)