Thursday, January 22, 2009

How To Feel Good In This Mess


It's been a crazy week so far and I haven't had much time to sit down and write the post that has been stewing in my brain. I didn't even watch the inauguration, well, I saw Rick Warren give the invocation and caught a few snippets on Hannity, but that was about it. There is a lot going on in this world, country, state, town that I live in and a lot of it is not good. The State of Oregon is heading towards (or perhaps we're in) a financial disaster, unemployment is at a record high and the outlook is bleak. It's easy to dwell on the bad news, but God tells us to dwell on Him and all that is good. So, that is what I'm going to do. This is my list of all that I am thankful for and I hope you'll play along and tell others what your thankful for (you too lurkers - eh'hem'... Mr./Mrs./Ms. Palo Alto....). I've heard it makes you feel better.

1. God. He's big, loving and if he'll take care of the birds I know he's got my back.

2. Jon. There is a place in heaven for that man marrying me.

3. My children. They try me...oh, how they try me. But the hugs, kisses, laughs and cuddling is all worth it.

4. Family. I have a lot of family and it seems to be ever growing. Plus we really like being around each other. Good times abound.

5. Friends. I love the ones that live near me and I can't wait to meet the witty, crazy, beautiful ones I've made here at this little corner of the internet.

6. Bozley. Yeah, I love my little dog. What can I say.

7. My home. It may have decreased in value according to the market, but to me, it's a blessing that God has provided for me and my family and I'm thankful to have a place to rest my head every night.

8. My surroundings. No matter what, I live in a beautiful place and God made me the kind of person that loves to enjoy it. He's cool that way.

9. My job. I am verrrrrry thankful for this.

10. Blessings. God has made sure that we are taken care of and I am thankful for all he has done. I can't even begin to express just how thankful I am.

Yes, I feel better.

Still counting my blessings.

7 comments:

sherri said...

I'm thankful for you as well, my friend!

Always good to make a list of our blessings.

I already feel better just reading yours.

Must make my own today.

Thanks.

Annie K said...

Glad I could help my friend! Oh, and I'll work on a burger recipe this weekend. ;)

Helen said...

Hi Annie. I am thankful for Jesus, Bob, Mom, friendships in various forms, and physical comforts such as home, food, etc. I am also thankful that God is sovereign. He is who is trully in charge. Thanks be to Him.

Beth said...

Wise choice to dwell on being thankful to God! And thanks for sharing it with us! Funny how quick my attitude changes as soon as I focus on the things I have been given from God instead of the things I don't have...

katdish said...

Yes. I am so grateful for so many, many things. I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend that all is well, but until Jesus makes all things right, I can still have hope. And I look forward to meeting you someday too -- you feisty bad*ss, you!

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

My children try me too. Glad to hear that I'm not alone, cuz I'm feelin kinda grumpy about it. ;)

They ARE a blessing, they ARE a blessing, the ARE a blessing...

Annie K said...

Helen and Beth, you two are just so cool. Dang cool.

Katdish, yeah, that's me and it sounds cool coming from you(!).

Steph, you keep saying that as you march right through those teen years. They will at some point be the gift that keeps on giving. Seriously. No, really. Seriously.