Thursday, January 15, 2009

Not Flab, Just Flat and Fabulous for Oprah

Beginning Saturday Jon and I are going on a health kick. Yep, a good old fashioned diet and exercise program. I would like to get rid of the saggage that started around my mid-section when I hit 35 (I don't know what was so magical about that year, but the law of gravity took over then) and I have aspirations of being svelte like Jennifer Anison when my blogger pals and I make our appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show in August(I will probably turn down all offers to pose in a tie for GQ Magazine though.) Jon would like to lose some of the weight that he has gained since we got married. He blames in on the fact that I'm somewhat of a Julia Child in the kitchen. I told him I would stop cooking but he nixed that idea.

Now you have to understand that this is going to be tough, not because of the exercise (I already do that), but because it requires cutting out most carbs. AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGG! We love carbs. Seriously. Mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, roasted potatoes, tater tots, tortillas, chips with salsa, beer with chips and salsa, wine with pasta, Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil Triscuits, bread... Since that is taboo food now, I've been working on a menu that has lots of meat (I'm not giving up steak!), vegetables, fruits, legumes (such a fun word to use), and whole grains. And, we are going to become teetotalers. For the most part. But probably with a few exceptions, like Saturday and Sunday.

We'll also be hitting the trails when the snow level allows or the stair stepper when I'm too much of a wuss to be out in the cold (at least I have a commanding view of the mountains from said stair stepper). We'll also be embarking on a 'flat-fest' as Jon calls it. A crunchless ab program that promises 'flatter abs in 30 days'. We'll see about that.

My wickedly funny and feisty blog buddy, Helen, is going to post some of her 'being good' recipes (they're fabulous, I'm sure) on our food blog, Paprika is Good, But Not in Coffee. I will be making these and then promptly telling you just how wonderful her recipes are. If you have a recipe that you think would be appropriately awesome for this little health kick of ours, please email it to me and if I make it and like it (key phrase 'like it'), I will post it on Paprika is Good, But Not in Coffee where it will garner the attention of possibly 10's of people from around the world. And who knows, Steph might mention you in her book just because she's cool that way.(I don't know what Steph writing a book has to do with all this...)

So, in honor of the great flat-fest that is about to commence, I decided to dish up something extremely carbolicious. Yep, my most tasty garlic mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy. I'm going to miss you...

17 comments:

sherri said...

Send me all your carbs! I'll babysit them for you.

Annie K said...

Sorry, no-can-do. I'm eating them all tonight. I'm selfish that way... ;)

Mulled Vine said...

Hmmm, garlic.... mash ... gravy ... hamburger.... yumm!! Think I might go on a diet too! :)

Helen said...

Ummmmm, Annie, we got our wires crossed yesterday. When I said I would post recipes that I have from when I was trying to "be good", I was on a low fat diet, not low carb. It never occured to me during our chat that you were doing low carb.
I actually don't have HEALTHY vegetarian recipes. I will look, but ummmm, like I said, our wires are way crossed.
Maybe we should beg Katdish for help. She mentions it a lot on Steph's blog. Maybe she would be willing to send us recipes we can post and credit her with.

Katdish, please. Will ya? Huh? Pretty please, pretty please.

sherri said...

Annie, your new layout/design is BEAUTIFUL! It was not this way when I commented earlier!

WHere did you find the design?

Now mine feels like an old shack.
I need to do some rennovating myself!

* My post today is about tattoos, as promised.

Annie K said...

Helen,

Now where did I get vegetarian? Just post those recipes - they don't have to be totally carbless (I mean, what's life without some carbs, eh?). Besides, all the stair stepping will cancel out any carbs. I'm still sure your recipes will be fabulous. ;)

Annie K said...

Sherri, thanks for the YAY! I will email you the site where I got my new layout. It was time for a change.

Annie K said...

Helen, I do not see the word 'vegetarian' anywhere. Now where did it go?

Helen said...

Sherri is right. Love the new blog makeover.

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

Welcome to He** Annie.

Okay, just kidding. It's not so much hellish now as purgatoryish.

And I haven't even given up all carbs.

Also? Of course, if (when, Sherri?) I publish my bestseller, I will be sure to mention all of you "little people".

Hey! Maybe I'll be ON Oprah the day you go in August! I promise I'll introduce you...

Okay, all this book talk feels so silly. But I AM interested in your recipes. Not for me to cook, OBVIOUSLY. But Chef Charlie is always on the lookout for more options.

Helen said...

Steph, ask Chef Charlie if he has any diet recipes he wants to share. I think we should open this thing up to reader participation....

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

Helen,

That might be tough. Charlie has two mottoes:

"It's always time for butter!"

AND

"Recipes? We don't need no stinkin recipes!"

But I'll run it past him. ;)

wv: pranit
I can speak good Engrish but onry if I pranit before.

sherri said...

Steph,
Feb. 17 2011

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

Sherri,

Okay, NOW you're just messing with me.

Mare said...

Wow, soooooo good of you! You are brave. =)

P.S. Love the new blog look!

Beth said...

Hi Annie! I'm back! Yes, the new layout looks fab-o! My pastor and wife have been on a health kick for awhile. We went to their house for dinner last week and she made "healthy chili." It was really good! I'll have to beg her for the recipe...anyway, they've lost so much weight they don't even look like the same people who moved here a couple years ago...and they totally haven't given up on taste, so you know her stuff is good. Without coffee, carbs are all I have for comfort... :)

Annie K said...

YAY(!!) Beth is back! We have missed you.

I'm going to post a lot of my recipes on mine and Helen's food blog - I got one posted this morning. We survivied our first day, although I'm feeling like I got hit by a dump truck (fighting off a cold or something) but I'm sure the fruit smoothies for breakfast are going to take care of that.