Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm Marilyn, But I'm Bette

My friend Steph, over at Red Clay Diaries posted this little quiz she took about what famous person she is most like. I decided to take the quiz. I don't do these very often, but I was curious because Steph was like Audrey Hepburn. I grew up on the classics and Audrey Hepburn was one of my favorite actresses as a kid (probably because I wanted to be just like her in My Fair Lady. That is a romantic Cinderella story if ever there was one.

I actually took this quiz twice because there were two answers that applied to me. Apparently I am a mix between Marilyn Monroe and Bette Davis. Seriously. Those two are more different than Bush and Obama. But, I think it's appropriate because sometimes, what I project is very different from what I feel inside. It's a defense mechanism that I have used since I was a kid. So, I'm going to post both and list how I am like Marilyn and how I'm like Bette.

You are a Marilyn -- "I am affectionate and skeptical."

Marilyns are responsible, trustworthy, and value loyalty to family, friends, groups, and causes. Their personalities range broadly from reserved and timid to outspoken and confrontative.

How to Get Along with Me
* Be direct and clear
* Listen to me carefully
* Don't judge me for my anxiety
* Work things through with me
* Reassure me that everything is OK between us
* Laugh and make jokes with me
* Try not to overreact to my overreacting

What I Like About Being a Marilyn
* Being committed and faithful to family and friends
* Being responsible and hardworking
* Being compassionate toward others
* Having intellect and wit
* Being a nonconformist
* Confronting danger bravely
* Being direct and assertive

What's Hard About Being a Marilyn
* The constant push and pull involved in trying to make up my mind
* Procrastinating because of fear of failure; having little confidence in myself
* Fearing being abandoned or taken advantage of
* Exhausting myself by worrying and scanning for danger (I'm not afraid of danger, but I can tend to worry about stuff)
* Wishing I had a rule book at work (and home) so I could do everything right
* Being too critical of myself when I haven't lived up to my expectations

Marilyns as Children Often
* Are friendly, likable, and dependable, and/or sarcastic, bossy, and stubborn
* Are anxious and hyper vigilant; anticipate danger
* Form a team of "us against them" with a best friend or parent
* Look to groups or authorities to protect them and/or question authority and rebel

Marilyns as Parents
* Are often loving, nurturing, and have a strong sense of duty
* Are sometimes reluctant to give their children independence (I'm the opposite here as I want my kids to be independent and experience things, probably because of my own sense of adventure.)
* sometimes have trouble saying no and setting boundaries

You are a Bette -- "I must be strong"


Bettes are direct, self-reliant, self-confident, and protective.

How to Get Along with Me
* Stand up for yourself... and me.
* Be confident, strong, and direct.
* Don't gossip about me or betray my trust.
* Be vulnerable and share your feelings. See and acknowledge my tender, vulnerable side. (I cry over everything. Seriously, I may project a toughness, but I'm a mushy softie on the inside.)
* Give me space to be alone.
* Acknowledge the contributions I make, but don't flatter me. (Ok, flattery will get you everywhere.)
* I often speak in an assertive way. Don't automatically assume it's a personal attack.
* When I scream, curse, and stomp around, try to remember that's just the way I am.

What I Like About Being a Bette
* Being independent and self-reliant
* Bing able to take charge and meet challenges head on
* Being courageous, straightforward, and honest
* Getting all the enjoyment I can out of life
* Supporting, empowering, and protecting those close to me (I am fiercely loyal and protective and don't you dare hurt anyone I love. Just so you know.)
* Upholding just causes

What's Hard About Being a Bette
* Overwhelming people with my bluntness; scaring them away when I don't intend to
* Being restless and impatient with others' incompetence
* Sticking my neck out for people and receiving no appreciation for it
* Never forgetting injuries or injustices (I suck at forgiving. It's not one of my gifts.)
* Putting too much pressure on myself
* getting high blood pressure when people don't obey the rules or when things don't go right (I'm a pro at assuming and overreacting.)

Bettes as Children Often
* Are independent; have an inner strength and a fighting spirit
* Are sometimes loners
* Seize control so they won't be controlled
* Attack verbally or physically when provoked
* Take charge in the family because they perceive themselves as the strongest, or grow up in difficult or abusive surroundings (For the record, I was just bossy and did not grow up in an abusive family. We were more 'Beaver Cleaver')

Bettes as Parents
* Are often loyal, caring, involved, and devoted
* Are sometimes overprotective (I think I'm the opposite and want my kids to be extremely independent and free spirited like me)
* Can be demanding, controlling, and rigid (Who? Me?)

There you have it. The best of Marilyn and Bette and this is a pretty true picture of who I am. If you would like to take the test, go to Steph's blog and follow the link. It's late and I'm too lazy to find it, copy and paste it. But I'd love to hear about who you are most like. Or maybe you are just flaberghasted at my results.

4 comments:

Helen said...

I posted mine on my blog. I don't really see the correlation in the big picture, but it could be that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Literally. My shoulder is, ugh!

Oh yeah, I'm a Grace....

katdish said...

I'm a Bette, but I see many characteristic of a Marilyn in me (with the notable exception of the big boobs.)

I am forgiving, but that's because I learned a long time ago that unforgiveness hurts me more than it does the other party.

I'm glad I'm Bette! (even if it is just a silly test) She was cool.

Helen said...

Remember when I said I got up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday? Well I decided it beats falling out of the right side. Ouch!

Annie K said...

Helen, that is either wisdom, a slam against liberals or you're speaking from experience.

And my shoulder is always 'ugh' - especially during volleyball season. So I feel your pain sistah.