Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Word for Wednesday

I am reading through Acts right now, and Leviticus. Honestly, Acts is a much easier read than Leviticus, which is all about the laws that God gave to the Israelites. They are both important, no doubt, but there are just some books of the Bible I seem to trudge through.

I like the book of Acts. And today I was reading Acts 18. Feel free to read through it - as I'm just going to zero in on two verses that jumped out at me.

Acts: 18:27-28, When Apollos wanted to go to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples there to welcome him. On arriving, he was a great help to those who by grace had believed. For he vigorously refuted the Jews in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.

The definition of vigorously is: Full of character, strong, robust, energetic, forceful, wholeheartedly, zealous. Powerful in action or effect.

I just want to make a few points about these two verses:

1. He was a great help to believers.
Was he nurturing to others, helping them to study scripture? Was he someone they could come to with questions and he would counsel them? Did he speak in their homes and lead their friends to Christ? I see Apollos as someone who others were probably drawn to because of his charisma.

2. He vigorously defended the deity of Jesus Christ.
To me, this means he was not afraid of public debate and stepping on toes. I don't know that being 'politically correct' was a concern of Apollo's. I would guess that there were some pretty heated discussions. This was a man who was zealous in his love for Christ.

Here is what I asked myself this morning:

Am I a great help to other believers in furthuring their walk with Christ? And am I a help to non-believers in coming to Christ? Honestly, I need to work on this with great enthusiasm. I should be more concerned with helping others nurture their relationship with Christ and not just focus on nurturing mine.

Am I a vigorous defender of Jesus Christ and am I willing to publicly debate it? I will defend my faith in Jesus, although, I don't know how well I rate on the scale of 1-10 for zealously doing so in public. Perhaps I need to be less concerned of what others think and more concerned with what Jesus thinks.

So, ask yourself these same questions.

Are you a great help to other believers in furthuring their walk with Christ? Are you a great help to non-believers in coming to Christ?

Are you vigorously defending Jesus Christ in public?

Rate yourself 1-10. Where do you fall? Where do you need to improve? WHAT steps will you take to live a more 'vigorous' life in Christ? (Be honest!)

2 comments:

sherri said...

I'm a 5. Somedays a 10, and other days a 1 so I'll just pick a happy medium.

These are very good thoughts to chew on for awhile.

I try, but sometimes I'm focusing more on my needs when I come before Him rather than VIGOROUSLY defending the gospel.

As I've said before, by nature I'm a peacekeeper, so it's hard for me to VIGOROUSLY defend unless I feel REALLY moved by God to do so.
(Mainly because I see others do more damage than good when they start "defending" with the wrong motives.)

Something I need to work on for sure.

MDSK said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing all this awesome info and food for thought.

You rock!