Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Call

So last night I got THE call. The one every parent with a driving teenager dreads. It goes something like this... (in a very shaky, scared voice) "Mom, I've been in an accident." In the few nano seconds it takes to register what I've just heard and before I can ask, "Are you OK?" that feeling of your stomach falling down to your feet hits like a dump truck full of pig slop. To be honest, it's kind of a blur from the time I fired off in rapid succession "Did you call 911? Where are you? Did you call Jon? Are you ok(again)? I'll be right there." to pulling up at the accident scene.

By the time I pulled up, Jon was there with my daughter as well as a police officer and by the grace of God no one was hurt. For which I am very thankful. I told Jon today that it was so hard to talk to the officer because it was cold and I was scared, nervous and shaking like crazy. I vividly remember trying to talk to the paramedics in a very slow, deliberate voice because I couldn't stop shaking. Weird.

I think we learn a lot about ourselves in situations like these and as parents we can go into the 'what if' mode when our children are faced with scary circumstances. Jon was faced with something similar a few years ago and while I could empathize with him I couldn't completely understand how he felt about his kids being in a car wreck...until last night. I have played the 'what ifs' in my head and it has done nothing but bum me out. I can still feel my daughter shaking as I wrapped my arms around her at the scene. I have run the gamut of emotions and am shocked at the uncontrollable crying. I think it's just my way of letting go of the stress of the situation and the feeling of overwhelming gratitude I feel towards God for protecting not only my child but the driver of the other car. Last night was proof that the prayers of protection I pray over my children are being heard by an extremely loving and protective God who holds us in his hands.

7 comments:

Helen said...

I'm glad your daughter is fine. God bless you both.

katdish said...

You can play out scenarios in your head over and over, but until you experience it first hand, you never really know how it feels. I am so glad to hear that no one was injured and the ability to hold your daughter in your arms was, I'm sure, the best reassurance and comfort she could ever receive. I'm getting chills just thinking about it! Thanks for the reminder to pray without ceasing.

sherri said...

Annie, I've recieved "the call" with all 3 of my boys- all equally as disturbing and my reaction was much the same as yours. And I could NOT wait to see them with my own eyes and give them a big ole' bear hug and tell them I love them. (my sister got one of the calls about her 16 year old son, but he passed away in his wreck). So I think I might actually overreact because I relieve those horrible moments from years ago with her.

I think those close calls do make us value those we love even more- and reminds us of the brevity of our lives- makes those little annoying things not quite so important!

And you guys might be jealous but, Annie and I got to talk to each other on the phone last night!!!! How cool is that?!! I sounded like a fog horn I'm sure, and I had to keep apologizing for having to clear my throat, but I so enjoyed finally speaking to a friend!

I love you Annie, and I'm so glad everything turn out Okay.

Annie K said...

Yes, it is very good that Kenz is fine.

And Sherri and I did get to talk last night and she does not sound like a fog horn...just like a 3 pack a day smoker. (just kidding). Hope you're feeling better.

Sherri said...

hey, did you know that Helen the Hungarian has started her own recipe blog?

The link is on her blog roll as "My other blog".

sherri said...

Now I need your help. Katdish, Beth and Steph are gangin' up on me. Now even my parents are involved.

Annie K said...

Sorry Sherri, I WORK all day, but I'm here for ya!