Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In The Not So Spirit of Christmas

So, for the past three days I've been writing and deleting, writing and deleting, writing and deleting because nothing is coming out right. It's not that I'm in a writers slump, believe me, I have a lot to say. It's just trying to say what I have to say without sounding scrooge, bah-humbug or overly sarcastic. This is, after all, the season of 'nice'. And I want to make sure I project nice in a most...well, nice way.

The thing is, it is a most true, unfortunate and sad fact that I'm just not really that into Christmas anymore(insert 'gasp' here). I know, I know, for shaaaaaaaame. It's not that I don't want to celebrate the birth of our Lord, who walked the earth preaching the gospel, performing miracles and then died for ME. I do, I really, really do. But my heart is just not that into it anymore.

I mentioned that last Christmas I didn't even have a tree. In fact I don't think I hung one decoration (unless you count the Christmas lights on the outside of the house, but they were still there from the year before. Jon is very proactive that way.). It was a big disappointment to my kids and I was disappointed in myself. This year though I have vowed to put up a Christmas tree that will put the Griswolds to shame and I even plugged in the outside lights(although I blew a fuse - but half of them still work) because I want my kids to be surrounded by some semblance of Christmas cheer.

This all sounds so crazy coming from someone who used to do up Christmas in a grand way with decorations, big dinners served up on my very best china and Christmas music playing in the background. Seriously, it was right out of a Thomas Kinkade postcard. But such is not the case anymore and I would rather skip the formalities, have a quiet day at home(or on a beach in Mexico) and move painlessly into the new year.

Excuse me while I go call my therapist...

6 comments:

Beth said...

I'm no therapist...but I have had more than one Christmas that ended up being such a big hassle that I didn't enjoy it. You try to please everybody, and in the end you just get grumpy. So I get it. I'm not quite in the spirit yet either. But I'm still recovering from Thanksgiving!

sherri said...

Annie, people call me Mrs. Claus, but I have had years where I had to work so much that I didn't have the time or energy to do lavish decorations or prepare the big meals, and it did seem to be more of a bother really. I say life is short, don't sweat the small stuff.

Normally, I start putting up my trees ( yes, I have many) the day after Thanksgiving, but this year I didn't start until TODAY!

We were traveling this weekend and yesterday I was worn out from the trip, so I started today.

I've had some great Christmas memories, and Many not so great. I'm sharing about one particularly bad year on my blog tomorrow. Just writing about it sent me back to a place I hope I don't have to be again, but it did end OK.
Anyway, I don't think it's necessarily bad that you don't "get into it" like everyone else-- we're all messed up anyway.
You may be onto something.

If you're celebrating in your heart and you can do a lttle something to make the kids happy, then it's a Merry Christmas!

veri/word "mychin"

My chin, has a twin- I need to put down the fork!

Helen said...

Annie, I get it, I really do. We miss out because Christmas will never again be what it was when we were children. When we were children, it was for us and seemed magical even if we helped. It wasn't our responsibility, so the tree decorating and cookie baking et al were great. Now, if we don't do it, we feel guilt which makes these things a chore instead of a joy.
Somehow, for me, the childlike holiday is Easter. Outside of cooking polish sausage, ham, and boiling and coloring eggs, all else is extra. If I put my bunnies out around the house, great. If they stay in their boxes, great!. If I put my bunny crossing sign in the driveway, great, if I don't, hace es la vida (that was for you Beth, espanol).
Maybe that is another reason I love keeping advent. Low expectations. I can gradually do the decorating thing, and when people say on December 2 "Where is your tree?" I can say "It is advent people."
No pictures. My face would crack the screen of my mac.

Annie K said...

Well, first, it's much harder having a big happy family Christmas in a blended family. Jon's kids aren't that comfortable around my family and my kids aren't comfortable around his. So there is always tension between the kids and cousin's and in-laws, out-laws, etc. (just kidding, no out-laws.) And trying to coordinate who has who Christmas Eve/Christmas, when do I pick up my kids and your kids and celebrate at our house, your parents, my parents...oy...

Also, a few years ago I took my kids and parents to a little town in Mexico for Christmas. It was probably the best Christmas I ever had. Not because we were hanging out on the beach sipping margaritas and soaking up the sun(although that helped), but because of how the village gathered at mid-night in the town square to have mass and then celebrate with music, family, dancing, food. It wasn't about who had the bigger tree or more presents under it. (These people live in dirt floor homes, so all that other stuff would be a luxury they can't afford). It was about simplicity, and baby Jesus, and family and being together. Those people, in that little town have the right idea. Next year I plan on going back to Mexico for Christmas - to an even smaller town and I look forward to the simplicity of Christmas!

katdish said...

I can totally relate. My parents are divorced, my dad is remarried (again), my sisters don't want to "share" Christmas with my dad's wife (or even meet her for that matter) and I get to explain to my kids why we have to celebrate birthdays and Christmas twice. Bah, Humbug!

PerfectMomentProject said...

Not too late to send presents to OUR TROOPS

Well, it's getting a little late, but there's always New Year's.