Sunday, December 7, 2008

This Is Just So Us

So Jon and I had a Saturday all to ourselves which is a rare occurrence. By late afternoon we decided to head out and pick up a few movies to watch while we ate dinner. As I have mentioned in the past, Jon and I have this uncanny ability to have deep, meaningful conversations at the drop of a hat no matter where we are. We've literally solved much of the worlds problems this way. Like our conversation as we were driving home last night.

Jon: That guy really needs to turn on his headlights.

Anne: Yeah, I flashed a UPS driver last night when I was taking Killian to meet up with his dad.

Jon: You flashed a UPS guy?

Anne: Yeah. With my headlights.

Jon: Your headlights. Niiice. So it's OK if I just start flashing the FedEx lady when she shows up at my work?

Anne: His lights were off and it was dark.

Jon: You know that's what the Crips do for initiation. Drive around with their lights off until someone flashes them. They chase the person down and shoot them.

Anne: The UPS driver isn't in the Crips.

Jon: Hey, everyone wants to be a somebody.

Anne: (Sigh)

Jon: I got a call from Cris when he was working in the government and it was THE weekend that the Crips were doing their initiations. He said that if we saw people driving around without their headlights off not to flash them.

Anne: So there are Crips in po-dunk Albany, Oregon?

Jon: Well, not Albany but, you know, the big cities.

Anne: I'll keep that in mind.

So after we got home I proceeded to make Jon's most favorite meal in the world. Pasta Carbonara. If you've never had it, you need to. It's one of those dishes that I hope we get to eat in heaven and if it's not on the buffet table now, I'm hoping by the time I get there it is. It's just THAT good. And easy. Because it's your lucky day, I'm posting the recipe so that you can give it a shot yourself.

PASTA CARBONARA
4 large eggs
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I actually do about 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (make this one at least 1/2 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced (I use about 4 cloves. Garlic is good!)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more is better)
4 oz thinly sliced pancetta (Italian bacon), finely chopped (I use regular bacon)
12 oz egg fettuccine (the fresh stuff is better than the dry)1 medium bunch

Whisk 4 eggs, both cheeses, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl; set aside. Cook pancetta(bacon) in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to small bowl. Reserve skillet with a small amount of the drippings.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Return hot pasta to skillet you cooked the bacon in(off heat). Immediately add egg-cheese mixture, pancetta (bacon), and 1/4 cup hot cooking liquid; toss to combine, adding more cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten as needed. Season to taste with salt and more pepper, if desired. Cover to keep warm.

I chopped up some spinach and threw that in when I was tossing the pasta. I like to eat healthy and I figure the spinach cancels out the fat from the bacon and cheese, so it's basically a fat-free dish. (At least that's how I justify it in my mind). Jon and I ate the whole thing and had a lovely red wine to go with it(I know, I know, white with THAT kind of a pasta dish, but I'm a rebel and prefer red.)

Oh, and you can skip renting 'The Assassination of Jesse James'. While the pasta was amazingly fabulous, the movie was not.

11 comments:

Beth said...

This is so sweet. :) Last week one of our babysitters offered to watch the kids for us for FREE to have a night out. It was so nice. We went to dinner and saw a movie in the THEATER. I can't remember the last time that happened! Fun!

helen said...

The Pasta Carbonara sounds so good. The next time I go to the store, I'm getting the cheeses.

I don't know if we have Crips in Chicago, but one of the gangs uses that as an initiation. Don't tell your husband, but I just don't worry about it. I figure if I die trying to be a good person, I will have "watched and waited" as Jesus asked. Then again, I am often the person driving without her lights (I can see, so it's okay, right?).

wv: redsmat:what I will be if I forget to turn my headlights on one time too many.

Mare said...

That pasta looks amazing!

Great that you two had a date night AND some seriously revolutionary conversations. =)

Annie K said...

Beth, I highly recommend date night as often as possible. It is something Jon and I do at least once/month if not more. (I know you have little kids and babysitting costs $$, which is something Jon and I don't have to worry about). But it's extremely healthy for the marriage and good for the kids to see that they're not always the center of it all (if you know what I mean!). ;)

Helen, I will continue to pray for your good eyesight to hold out, especially at night(!).

Mare, we will make Carbonara for your party!! YAY!

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

Awesome conversation. Charlie and I solve all the world's problems ALL THE TIME. If we could just get someone to listen to us...

Oh, and I'm from Southern CA (The Birthplace of Cripdom). You can tell Jon that I've always heard that the headlight thing is an urban legend. Then again, who wants to take a chance.

Oh and "I flashed the UPS guy" -- Awesome. :)

Sherri said...

Quit flashin people! It ain't right.
That's why I can't drink on a date with Big Al!

LOVE the recipe.

Thanks,
glad you heathens had a nice evening alone!

Sherri said...

I need your help! Visit my blog!

Helen said...

Speaking of flashing the UPS guy, whenever Bob is rushing me to get ready to go somewhere, I always just stop, even if I am in my undies, and say "I'm ready now! Let's go!" Once he tried to call my bluff, and I got as far as opening the door before he ran to stop me. Ahhh! What we women do to make marriage work. Oh, and I also threaten to increase property values and flash at the front window if he forgets to draw the blinds at night. I'm just bluffing, though. Why don't I draw the blinds myself? Then the only way I could freak my husband out by singing "I wanna rock and roll all night and party every day" in a high pitch voice. I don't really have that much in my repetoire!

katdish said...

That's awesome. My hubby and I really need to get our more w/o the kids. Here's how that conversation would go with us:

Ron: That guy really needs to turn on his headlights.

Kathy: That's what she said.

Ron: That doesn't even make sense.

Kathy: I don't care. That's what she said.

Ron: I don't get it!

Kathy: That's what HE said.

wv: shiddic

Gang slang word derrogottary to women:

"Shiddic, fo shizzle?"

Bo said...

In a world with no Steve, I can imagine myself happily married to Pasta Carbonara. It is THAT good.

Also, I grew up in the mean streets of Albany, Oregon and while I didn't ever...you know...FLASH anyone, I did get in a little tangle at a clearance sale once. Don't mess with bargain-hunters in Albany.

Annie K said...

You ladies are cracking me up!

Katdish, THAT is the best WV definition I have heard yet. Only because when my daughter is around all of her friends I use phrases like fo' shizzle just to totally embarass her.