Monday, December 8, 2008

Its Just That Good


Because I am feeling extremely domestic diva this week, I thought I would continue with the food theme and give you yet another new recipe to add to your repertoire. This is by far one of the easiest 'Mexican' dishes you can make and will put you in the throws of green chile utopia. Seriously. I whip this up and then let little Mrs. Crockpot do her magic while I'm at work. I have simplified this recipe especially for those of you who don't have a lot of time to slave over a hot stove.

GREEN CHILE PORK

2 lbs. boneless pork roast cut into cubes
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt (heaping)
1 teaspoon cumin (heaping)
1 teaspoon chile powder (heaping)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large can (28 oz or so) green enchilada sauce

Put cut up pork in a large bowl. Sprinkle with flour, salt, cumin, chile powder and pepper and stir to coat. In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add garlic and stir for about 30 second. Add pork. Cook in skillet until pork is browned, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a crockpot. Add green enchilada sauce. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Before serving, to thicken the sauce, put about 1/2 cup of sauce in a bowl and whisk in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour. Stir back into crockpot and let thicken for a few minutes. Serve in a bowl topped with cheese (medium cheddar or pepper jack), sour cream and tortillas on the side.

************************************************************************************
Since I am always looking for new recipes, please feel free to share a recipe of your own and let's keep them simple (nothing with 82 ingredients that I have to purchase online because they are specialty items, like water snake or mad black wiener dogs). So here's your chance to show your domestic divaness and pick up a few new recipes to boot.

6 comments:

Helen said...

I never used green enchilada sauce. Does it have seeds in it?

Annie K said...

Helen, you should try it. I think it has some seeds because it is made from green chiles and there are piece of that in there.

Matt @ The Church of No People said...

Everyone knows how to make chili, so I won't put up a whole recipe here, but I do have a great secret for chili - chocolate. Just a square or two broken off of a Hershey bar. No one will be able to taste it, but the sweetness actually enhances and brightens the spices without making it hotter. It's like it tricks your tongue into thinking it's getting something sweet and mild, then BAM! You're in flavor country!

Mare said...

wv: skimp

I'm going to have to skimp on leaving a good comment...because I'm a terrible cook.

Annie K said...

Matt, I will definitely give the chocolate thing a try. That sounds very interesting.

Mare, I'm guessing your passion isn't cooking? ;)

Mare said...

It's one of the few things I can say to all the men who want to marry me here that actually puts a damper on their idea.

"I don't cook, by the way."
"what do you mean? I don't understand"
"I mean...I eat the same thing almost everyday unless someone else is cooking...I dont cook"
"That's ridiculous...you're a woman. What will you feed your husband?"
"IF I so choose to get married, perhaps he will cook..."
"aaahh hahahahahahahaha the man will cook? aahahahahahahahaha"

"I dont' want babies either..."
blank stare

far from a passion of mine =)